Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett is once again a member of the 99 Club for Madden 23. The 26-year-old has been a first-team All-Pro each of the last two seasons and finally joined the 99 Club for the first time last December. He begins Madden 23 with a perfect 99 overall rating at launch.
Garrett, who is coming off a 16-sack season in 2021, is the highest-rated edge rusher in Madden 23. He also recorded 51 tackles, one forced fumble, and one touchdown last year.
In addition to the 99 overall, Garrett boasts 88 Speed, 91 Acceleration, 96 Strength, 98 Awareness and 92 Tackling. The closest defensive end to Garrett in Madden 23 is San Francisco 49ers’ Nick Bosa, who is rated a 94 overall.
While I don’t think anyone has an issue with Myles Garrett being rated a 99 overall, it’s more about the disrespect to Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt. The 2021 Defensive Player of the Year checks into Madden with just a 96 overall rating. Watt has recorded double-digit sacks every year since 2018, including a league-leading 22.5 sacks last year, so to see him rated only as a 96 has sparked all sorts of debate online.
Take a look at Madden 23’s best edge rushers (defensive ends and linebackers) at launch:
- Myles Garrett (RE, Browns) – 99 OVR
- T.J. Watt (LOLB, Steelers) – 96 OVR
- Fred Warner (MLB, 49ers) – 94 OVR
- Nick Bosa (RE, 49ers) – 94 OVR
- Demario Davis (Saints, MLB) – 93 OVR
- Khalil Mack (Chargers, ROLB) – 92 OVR
- Lavonte David (MLB, Buccaneers) – 92 OVR
- Von Miller (RE, Bills) – 92 OVR
- Bobby Wagner (MLB, Rams) – 91 OVR
- Cameron Jordan (LE, Saints) – 91 OVR
- Joey Bosa (LOLB, Chargers) – 91 OVR
- Chandler Jones (ROLB, Raiders) – 90 OVR
- Darius Leonard (LOLB, Colts) – 90 OVR
- Demarcus Lawrence (LE, Cowboys) – 90 OVR
- Rashan Gary (LOLB, Packers) – 89
- Roquan Smith (ROLB, Bears) – 89 OVR
- Danielle Hunter (LOLB, Vikings) – 88 OVR
- Eric Kendricks (MLB, Vikings) – 88 OVR
- Micah Parsons (ROLB, Cowboys) – 88 OVR
- Shaquil Barrett (LOLB, Buccaneers) – 88 OVR
Aside from Watt, another player rating EA is drawing ire for is Micah Parsons. The second-year linebacker is coming off a tremendous rookie season in which he recorded 13 sacks, 84 total tackles, 30 QB hits and 3 forced fumbles while on his way to becoming the 2021 Defensive Rookie of the Year. What does that get him? An 88 overall, which ranks 14th among all NFL linebackers.
Do you agree with EA’s ratings for Madden 23? Sound off in the comments below!