Although the Major League Baseball season has been going on for a few weeks now, MLB The Show 21 doesn’t release officially until April 20. However, by pre-ordering the Jackie Robinson Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition of the game, you can start playing now with early access.
This also means we finally get to see what players will be rated in MLB The Show 21. While ratings will change throughout the year, depending on how players perform in real life, here are the top players at each position to start the year.
To no one’s surprise, New York Mets starting pitcher Jacob deGrom is the top-rated player at the position in MLB The Show 21. And it’s well-deserved too. There’s no arguing that Jacob deGrom is the best starting pitcher in baseball. It’s just unfortunate that he plays for a team that offers him no run support.
Thankfully there’s more to ratings with a pitcher than wins and losses. DeGrom checks in with a perfect 99 overall rating, which is where he was for MLB THe Show 20.
From there, the list differs from our predictions. While it was pretty easy to predict who the best pitchers in the game would be, getting the ratings and order exactly right proved a bit more challenging.
It turns out Clayton Kershaw will be rated the same as Shane Bieber with a 95 overall. This is slightly higher than where we had predicted him to be, but ultimately, it’s hard to argue that he doesn’t deserve a spot at the top of the list.
As for some of the other pitchers, Shane Bieber, Max Scherzer, Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer are all on the list as well. Perhaps the most surprising on the list are Chris Sale and Justin Verlander. Sale, the Red Sox ace pitcher, is dominant when healthy but he’s coming off Tommy John surgery that he underwent last March. There’s no denying that Sale is one of the best pitchers in the league when healthy, but it may be a bold stretch by Sony San Diego to automatically slot him in as one of the top ten pitchers in the game.
- Jacob deGrom (New York Mets) – 99 OVR
- Clayton Kershaw (Los Angeles Dodgers) -95 OVR
- Shane Bieber (Cleveland Indians) – 95 OVR
- Max Scherzer (Washington Nationals) – 94 OVR
- Gerrit Cole (New York Yankees) – 94 OVR
- Trevor Bauer (Los Angeles Dodgers) – 93 OVR
- Chris Sale (Boston Red Sox AAA Affiliate) – 93 OVR
- Aaron Nola (Philadelphia Phillies) – 92 OVR
- Justin Verlander (Houston Astros AAA Affiliate) – 91 OVR
- Stephen Strasburg (Washington Nationals) – 91 OVR
- Zack Greinke (Houston Astros) – 90 OVR
- Walker Buehler (Los Angeles Dodgers) 89 OVR
- Kenta Maeda (Minnesota Twins) – 88 OVR
- Blake Snell (San Diego Padres) – 88 OVR
- Yu Darvish (San Diego Padres) – 88 OVR